It’s that time of year again when many are getting ready to hit the road to visit friends and family to celebrate the holidays! If you’re planning a relaxing getaway over the holiday season, you’ll want that peace of mind that your home is taken care of and that all of your plumbing systems are in good order. Here at Plumbing Experts, we want to ensure that when you return back from vacation, you don’t come home to a horrible plumbing disaster.
Before you head out, cross these simple plumbing tips off your to-do list:
- Leave the heater on (even at a low temperature above freezing levels) to prevent freezing. Leave the cabinets and doors that have plumbing pipes open so that warm air circulates to them.
- Check your plumbing system for leaks. Look out for wet spots/water marks in your kitchen, bathroom and laundry areas.
- Turn off water valves to sinks, toilets, washing machine and dishwasher.
- Turn the water heater to “vacation” mode, or off completely.
- Ensure the washing machine is drained completely to prevent mold growth.
- Clean food items from the refrigerator and pantry. Clear out your garbage disposal. Wipe down all kitchen appliances.
- Ensure your gutters are clear to prevent ice build up and that your roof is leak free.
- Ensure your alarm system is armed and check that all doors and windows are locked properly.
- Bring a list of important phone numbers.
If you’re planning on being away for an extended period of time, it may be a good idea to have a trustworthy neighbor or friend look after the house every few days. If you would like to have a home maintenance check done before you head out, please consider the Plumbing Experts for the job.
Our top rated, licensed and insured plumbers perform plumbing maintenance checks in Delray Beach, Boca Raton, Boynton Beach and the rest of Palm Beach County as well as Deerfield Beach, Parkland and all of Broward County. To learn more, click here, and to schedule your service, give us a call at Palm Beach (561) 279-2460 or Broward (954) 786-0477 or contact us here.