According to the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA), an above-average Atlantic hurricane season is predicted for 2021. These predictions include a 60% chance of an above-normal season, a 30% chance of a near-normal season, and a 10% chance of a below-normal season.

Residents of South Florida know it’s never too early to prepare your home and/or business for the dangers that hurricanes can bring.  Plumbing Experts recently shared tips on how to prepare your plumbing for Hurricane Season.  Click here to get the checklist.

At Plumbing Experts, we believe an important part of preparedness is also learning common problems that arise after a storm hits.  Here are the top three plumbing related problems post-hurricane, and what to look out for once the storm has passed.

  1. Water Leaks

Storms often times put plumbing pipes under stress, which can cause them to undergo damage or completely burst.  After a storm, you’ll want to monitor your water meter while your water is turned off.  You’ll also want to inspect your sump pump (the pump that moves excess water away from your home), as hurricanes put these under extreme stress as well.

  1. Slow Toilet Drain

It’s common for underground sewer lines to become backed up after a severe storm.  Heavy rain, storm surges and even lines shifting due to flooding and strong winds, makes for sewer lines to stop draining properly.

Before a storm, you’ll want to ensure your lines are clear, but if you notice they do become backed up after a storm, or if you notice debris backing up into your tub or sink, you’ll want to call a professional to inspect the lines.

  1. Water Heaters

If you experience a flood and water leaks into your water heater, it can cause your water heater to malfunction or break.  If your heater gets submerged in water, you’ll have to replace the unit before using it again, as it will be unsafe to continue use.  After a storm, remember that inspecting water heaters can be a dangerous job, and one best left to a professional.

It may be overwhelming dealing with the aftermath of a storm, but the most important thing is to first ensure your family and friends are safe.  If you are in need of help with your plumbing after a storm, the Plumbing Experts are available around the clock.  Give us a call at Palm Beach (561) 279-2460 or Broward (954) 786-0477 or contact us here.